Everyone has a feeling of anxiety, stress, tension and nervousness from time to time. These are all normal feeling when we go through a stressful situation and usually pass once the stressful situation has passed.
However, Anxiety is when these feelings happen without any reason or cause and do not go away. Here are few tips to manage these feelings:
- Get enough sleep: Get the right amount of sleep for your needs to relax your mind and body to handle the ups and downs of life.
- Eat healthy: Eat well and on time. Choose fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains for long term energy instead of short bursts that come from too much sugar or caffeine.
- Exercise: Exercise regularly to send oxygen to every cell in the body so your brain and body can work at their best.
- Relaxation: Our body needs daily practice of relaxation techniques like deep breathing, tai chi, meditation or yoga. It helps to improve the inner sense of your body and mind.
- Connect with nature: Heading out for a walk in the park or a hike in the woods can help anyone feel peaceful and grounded. Choose somewhere you feel safe so you can relax and enjoy your surroundings. Walking, hiking, trail biking, or snowshoeing offer the additional benefit of exercise.
- Connect with others: Spend time with friends or family. Organized activities are great, but just hanging out works too. Doing things with those we feel close to deepens our bonds, allowing us to feel supported and secure. And the fun and sharing that go with it allow us to feel happier and less upset about things.
- Sharing: If you feel worried or nervous about something, talking about it with someone who listens, and cares can help you feel more understood and better able to cope. You’ll be reminded that everyone has these feelings sometimes. You’re not alone.
- Positive self-talks: Appreciate the small, everyday blessings. Allow yourself to dream, wish, and imagine the best that could happen.